Subject: Ten things happening when you turned 21
1) Your team, the L.A. Lakers, was picked before the season by a majority of NBA general managers to win the title in June. Many were influenced in large part by your return to the team after last January’s knee injury.
2) The Philadelphia Phillies destroyed Tampa like Daniel vs. Cobra Kai in game four the night before your b-day to take a commanding 3-1 lead. Beast Cole Hamels is set to pitch game five at home. The last time a Philly team won a championship was in 1983 when Dr. J’s 76ers beat your Lakers.
3) Illinois Senator Barak Obama could become the nation’s first African American president just eight days after your birthday, should all recent polling prove accurate on November 4, 2008. This will be the first election in which you can vote for your candidate of choice.
4) One of Wall Street’s worst months in history is about to come to a close, but now’s a good time to buy some real estate, ‘Drew!
5) Pop star Christina Aguilera is debuting her new music video “Keeps Gettin’ Better” on the internet, not MTV. Music videos actually existed when you were born.
6) Kim Kardashian celebrated her 28th birthday just six days before your 21st, though she was mostly at the hospital caring for her boo Reggie Bush, who was recovering from minor surgery on his knee.
7) I figured out a great combination of Subway and McDonalds that I’d like to share with you personally: Grab the five-dollar foot long “Oven-Roasted Chicken Breast” with spinach leaves, olives and salt only, then swing by McDonalds and grab some Buffalo sauce. Spread the sauce on the meat, and don’t mention a thank you. It’s a birthday gift to you.
8) Amy Winehouse had her photo taken yet again while leaving a hospital, a picture for which you should not search on your special day.
9) Just wanted to remind you of a few older posts who were drafted ahead of you for when you face them this year: Andrew Bogut, Marvin Williams, Chuck Villanueva, Channing Frye and Ike Diogu. But don’t get too frustrated, because after all … You’re a Laker and you wouldn’t rather be anywhere else (still … punish them).
10) You just watched game tape of your single-handed dominance of the Oklahoma City Thunder in L.A.’s final preseason game and are feeling pretty good about what you have in mind for the rest of the league.