Some fun (or random) facts and pregame presser info about tonight’s contest:
- The Lakers have not won here since Feb. 23, 2005 (you hadn’t heard that yet this week, right…)?
- The Lakers split the season series with Portland in each of the last two seasons, going 4-0 at home and 0-4 on the road against the Blazers.
- Phil Jackson’s favorite thing about Brandon Roy: “I like his composure.”
- This is the 193rd meeting between the Blazers and Lakers, with L.A. winning 108 times.
- Jackson quipped that he might ban the players from going to the Nike Employee Store because of how much time and effort it takes, then reiterated that he was kidding.
- Kobe Bryant is averaging 27.7 points against the Trail Blazers in 46 career games.
- Pau Gasol has not yet attempted to run on his hamstring, according to Jackson. The Lakers are 19-3 with Gasol in the lineup and 9-4 without him this season.
- Kurt Rambis was coaching the Lakers during the team’s second trip to Portland last year as Jackson stayed in L.A. due to health issues. L.A. lost 106-98 after leading by as many as 10 points late in the second quarter.
- The New Jersey Nets and Washington Wizards announced plans to limit gambling on the team’s charter plane today. Back in his playing days, Phil Jackson said that he played cards with his teammates. He explained that he has no problem with his players playing, and actually thinks it can be a good an entertaining way for the players to pass the time. “I’m not in favor of (banning it) right now at all,” he said.