Lakers.com will have the video later tonight, but until then, here are some bullet points from Kobe Bryant’s postgame press conference, during which he addressed his 3-year contract extension signed earlier on Friday prior to L.A.’s 106-92 victory against Utah:
- Opening statement: “I’m very excited to be here. It’s very rare to have a player play his entire career in one city so I’m very excited.”
- Bryant reiterated Mitch Kupchak’s earlier words that he “knew (he) was going to be (with the Lakers). We both knew it was going to get done.” As such, there was no hurry.
- On if this could be his last contract: “It’s possible. I doubt it, but it’s possible.”
- On Phil Jackson’s possible return: “I enjoy playing for him. I made it very clear to him that I would love to seem him be back. That’s all I’m going to say about that.”
- Kobe said that signing the contract was “Really a huge honor.” He added that he can remember the day that he signed his first contract with the Lakers as a 17-year-old with no facial hair.
- On possibly becoming the greatest Laker ever: “The honor comes just as being apart of that conversation. To say that one is the greatest ever is impossible.”
- On keeping it out of the media: “I didn’t want to be a distraction. It’s an unnecessary distraction.”
- On Phil Jackson suggesting he take the summer off (from Team USA duties): “We’ve talked about it. We’ll see how the season finishes up. Obviously my priority is here (with the Lakers).”