Later this evening, the Lakers players, coaches and team staff will board a plane destined across the pond to London, and Lakers.com will be there throughout the five days in England and three in Barcelona, Spain, providing video, audio, written and photographic content to document the entire trip.
Below is an overview of events as the Lakers embark on their first journey overseas since a trek to Paris, France in 1991:
- The first exhibition game against the Minnesota Timberwolves of Kurt Rambis takes place on Monday, Oct. 4, at the 02 Arena in London. You can listen to the broadcast live at 12 p.m. Pacific on 710 ESPN and watch a delayed telecast on KCAL/9 at 7 p.m.
The second exhibition game takes place in Barcelona on Oct. 7 against Pau Gasol’s former team, Regal F.C. Barcelona, at 11:30 a.m. on 710 ESPN and will be again shown at 7 p.m. on KCAL/9. You can also follow our @Lakers and @LakersReporter Twitter accounts for live, courtside coverage.
- Phil Jackson will hold seven practices over six days, including a Thursday afternoon session at the team’s practice facility before the plane takes off.
- The team will have its photo taken at London’s Tower Bridge, its first in Europe since an Eiffel Tower shot in France in 1991.
- With many soccer fans on the team, it’s fortunate that the Lakers have been invited to attend an English Premier League soccer showdown between two of the best clubs in the world, Chelsea and Arsenal of London.
- Fan Zone appearances are scheduled for a few players and Lakers Girls in both cities.
- Community service is always a part of trips of this sort, and the Lakers will take part in an NBA Cares event with a local YMCA in London to teach children how to play hoops.
Nike and EA Sports will have a few events for some of its marquee Lakers players as well.
- Phil Jackson quipped that once the team arrives in Barcelona, city native Gasol will have full control of the team’s itinerary.
We’ll be there throughout to make sure you don’t miss a thing.