With the news that Mike Brown will serve a 1-game suspension for making contact with an official (at Utah) on Monday in Philadelphia, the Lakers will turn to Brown’s lead assistant, John Kuester, to take over head coaching duties.
While fellow assistant coaches Chuck Person, Quin Snyder (who served as an assistant last season under Doug Collins) and Darvin Ham scout opposing teams, Person drawing the Sixers, Kuester is responsible for taking in the big picture, just like Brown.
Should Brown ever get ejected or suspended as in Philly, Kuester stays ready to step in, though he’ll still be very active particularly in drawing up offensive plays, as he does when Brown’s on the bench.
Some other notes ahead of Lakers – Sixers:
- Kobe Bryant needs to score his jersey number, 24, to pass Shaquille O’Neal as the NBA’s 5th leading scorer in history. He has played 28 games (24 starts) against his hometown Sixers, averaging 22.6 points per game.
- The Lakers have gone 14-6 in the last three Grammy trips and built momentum for the respective season’s stretch runs. In 2008-09: 6-0; 2009-10: 5-3; 2010-11: 4-3. 2012-13: 1-1 so far.
- The Lakers lead the NBA in field goal defense (opponents shooting 41.6%).
- The Sixers have six guys in double figures, the leader (Sixth Man) Louis Williams averaging only 15.1 ppg, while the vast majority of LAL points come from Bryant, Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum.
- Elton Brand didn’t play in Philly’s last game due to a finger injury. We’ll have to check on him at the arena.