Author Archive for Ty Nowell
Page 2 of 54
Pau Gasol (upper respiratory infection) & Chris Kaman (ankle) will both be game-time decisions for tomorrow’s game against PHI.
— Los Angeles Lakers (@Lakers) December 28, 2013
— Los Angeles Lakers (@Lakers) December 7, 2013
Last year in Detroit you might remember Kobe Bryant finding Earl Clark with an inbounds pass with .4 seconds on the clock for an easy slam.
This year’s deja vu moment came as Steve Blake grabbed the ball with 0.8 seconds remaining in the half and executing the same exact play, leading to a vicious Wesley Johnson jam.
After the game, coach Mike D’Antoni said he thought L.A. could get away with it since Detroit changed coaching staffs this season. He was right.
The diagnosis from the CT scan was that Kelly is a minimum of 6 weeks from being cleared for running and jumping.
Kelly underwent surgery on his right foot on April 9th, 2013. He was drafted with the 48th pick in the 2013 NBA Draft by the Lakers after spending 4 years at Duke.
- In 1947, the NBA played its first games on Christmas Day (3 total) and including this year’s slate of games, the league has seen a total of 222 Christmas Day games in all.
- The Lakers relationship with Christmas Day games dates back to 1949 and the team’s second season in the NBA. On December 25, 1949, the Lakers hosted Ft. Wayne,
defeating the Pistons 72-58 in the team’s first ever Christmas day game.
- Now in their 65th NBA season, the Lakers have played on Christmas Day 38 times, second only to the New York Knicks (47), going 20-18 in those games.
- With 20 victories, the Lakers trail New York by two for most Christmas Day victories by a team in league history. Overall, the Lakers are 12-9 all-time when home for the holidays while going 8-9 in away games.
- This will be the Lakers 14th straight Christmas Day game dating back to 1999.
- Among Christmas Day opponents, Phoenix (6), Detroit (5), Boston (4) and Miami (4) top the list of teams the Lakers have faced on December 25th.
- Surprisingly, despite the Knicks and Lakers being the two teams that have played the most Christmas Day games in league history, this is just the second time the two teams will have met on Christmas Day. In their only other meeting, the Lakers traveled to New York on Christmas Day in 1963, defeating the Knicks 134-126 behind 47 points from Jerry West and 27 points from Elgin Baylor.
- This Christmas, Kobe Bryant will be playing in his record 15th game on December 25th, further surpassing the old mark of 13 games held by Earl Monroe, Shaquille O’Neal and Dolph Schayes. Bryant (349 points) ranks 2nd all-time in Christmas Day points scored behind Oscar Robertson (377 points).
- Additionally, Bryant ranks 2nd in assists (81) on Christmas Day behind Robertson (145), ranks 4th in steals with 15 and is tied for 2nd in three-point field goals made (11) along with LeBron James and teammate Steve Nash (trailing Chauncey Billups (13)).
- Nash also ranks 13th in assists per game (8.4) on Christmas Day while Dwight Howard ranks 10th in rebounds per game (15.3), 3rd in blocks per game (3.50) and 3rd in all-time total blocks (14) on Christmas.
Happy 12/12/12!! That’s Riley/Divac/Howard in Lakers speak. Who’s your favorite #12 in Lakers history?
Here’s the full list:
Alex “Boo” Ellis
The NBA released it’s list of most popular jerseys and three Lakers found their way into the top 15. Kobe Bryant, a stalwart of this list, came in at number three, while newcomers Dwight Howard and Steve Nash ranked #9 & #13 respectively.
Top 15 Most Popular NBA Jerseys:
1. LeBron James, Miami Heat
2. Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City Thunder
3. Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles Lakers
4. Carmelo Anthony, New York Knicks
5. Derrick Rose, Chicago Bulls
6. Rajon Rondo, Boston Celtics
7. Dwyane Wade, Miami Heat
8. Blake Griffin, Los Angeles Clippers
9. Dwight Howard, Los Angeles Lakers
10. Chris Paul, Los Angeles Clippers
11. Deron Williams, Brooklyn Nets
12. Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma City Thunder
13. Steve Nash, Los Angeles Lakers
14. Paul Pierce, Boston Celtics
15. Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas Mavericks
(Rankings based on sales from the NBA Store and NBAStore.com from April 2012 through Nov. 26, 2012)
-Since 2001, Bryant has claimed the No. 1 position six times in the bi-annual survey.
-The Lakers were the only team to place three players on the list.
-The purple and gold ranked third in team merchandise sold.